About

Thursday, October 8, 2015

An autumn essential



I heard on the radio the other day that Illinois is the country’s largest source of pumpkins. (Who knew?)
I also heard that they are expecting a shortage of canned pumpkin due to all the rain that adversely affected the sugar pie pumpkin crop this last summer, and they are telling everyone not to wait till the last minute to buy canned pumpkin because it could run out.  Whaaat?

Well, no worries…it’s super easy to make your own pumpkin puree. 
You can use any pumpkin, it doesn’t have to be a sugar pie pumpkin, but the sugar pies have more flesh and are slightly sweeter.  (So they say, but remember it is probably going into your baked treat… with sugar and spice and everything nice!)


Slice the pumpkin in half horizontally.  (It’s nice if they aren’t really big pumpkins.)
Scoop out all the seeds.

Place the halves on a cookie sheet cut side down and add a little bit of water. 
This makes its own little steam bath.


Place in a 350 degree oven for about an hour or until soft and a knife can slip through the skin easily.  
Let cool so that you can handle.
Scoop out the flesh.   You should be able to scrape the flesh from the skin super easily.


Place the cooked flesh into a food processor or blender.  Puree to the desired consistency.



I like to measure out 2 cup portions of puree and put into quart Ziploc bags labeled with the date. 
I then lay the bags flat on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer to flash freeze.  When they are firm, I just remove them from the cookie sheet, stack them, and continue to freeze until solid.

Of course the yield will depend upon the size of your pumpkin, but I seem to get 3-4 bags (about 8 cups) worth from one medium sized pumpkin.
The day before I want to use it, I place the bag in a bowl and put it in the refrigerator to thaw.  (I try not to thaw in the microwave because of the plastic. That’s a big No-No!)
Now you’re ready for pumpkin muffins, pumpkin scones, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread even pumpkin chili, but my favorite...pumpkin PIE.


I say, “ I want” – you say, “PIE
I want!
PIE!
I want!
PIE!


Happy Autumn, Everyone.  

Strangers and Pilgrims link up.

5 comments:

  1. "I say Yummy, you say Pie! Yummy! "Pie!" Yummy! "Pie" Apple, Rubarb, Peach or Pear. Any kind we don't care! I love Pie! "I Love Pie!" We love, love, love, love, love Pie!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Hannah....pie is the best dessert!! And how fitting to have pumpkin pie for a fall birthday... now you've got me seriously craving pumpkin pie though. Oh yay... just remembered TJ's pumpkin ice cream is in the freezer! That will suffice (but I will miss the crust)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ's pumpkin ice cream? We gotta get that, for sure!

      Delete
  3. To my Bride Happy Birthday. You are the apple of my eye and the sweetest pumpkin in the world.
    I LOVE YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried this method before! Thank you for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)