About

Monday, January 25, 2016

A clean clean

So by now you probably know that I am a bit of a health nut.  And you probably get that I am an all-natural kinda gal.  I like pure.  I like simple.   (pur et simple!)
I like clean and uncluttered.
Over the years we have overhauled the way we eat.  We eat whole food, and we eat clean food...mostly.   

But an area I haven't done too much with is making my own cleaning solutions.  
I do have two recipes - one for an all purpose glass cleaner, and one for an all purpose wood cleaner that I make,  but I still use the commercial stuff to clean the bathrooms and do laundry.   I've tried some homemade products in the past, but they just don't seem to clean well - so inevitably I revert back to the tried-and-true commercial cleaner.

The other day, I saw something on Pinterest, which led to the bunny hop of websites where I discovered Environmental Working Group.  They rate the cleaners from (A - F) like school grades according to their danger to personal health and the environment.  

My laundry soap - F
My dryer sheets - F
My tub/sink cleaner - F
My toilet cleaner - F
My dish soap - F
My dishwasher soap - F 

Seriously!  

So now I am on a new, highly motivated quest to find replacement products that fair much safer for my family.
Seventh Generation and Biokleen seem to be the best options. 

Now this may seem like a shameless plug, especially since I just featured their soap in my most recent post, but it isn't really.  Visit Shadow Hills Handmade.  Watch their video and tell me if it doesn't inspire you to use 100% natural, good for you products. 

Replacing commercial pump soap and/or body wash with all natural bar soap is an easy switch, so I am starting with that.  

Next will be the bathroom cleaner (Smelly fumes can't be healthy!) and the laundry soap.

Do you use any homemade cleaning products?  

Here are my simple, easy recipes in case you want to give it a try. 

Glass Cleaner  
2 c. water
1/4 c. white vinegar
1/4 c. rubbing alcohol.  
Combine all in a spray bottle.

Wood Cleaner
1-3/4 c. water
1/4 c. white vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. lemon essential oil 
Combine all in a spray bottle.

Floor Cleaner
2 c. water 
1/4 c. vinegar 
Combine together and add to the bottle of your stick mop.

4 comments:

  1. I need to do a cleaning product overhaul, too. I've used vinegar for years, but in addition to the bad stuff! If you don't already know, EWG has a helpful site that rates cosmetics: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

    Happy cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine,
      Oooh, thank you. I'll have to check out that part of their site. I feel like every summer I never know what sunscreen to buy either.

      Here's to healthy skin, and clean homes. :-)

      Delete
  2. We have recently discovered the Norwex products. I shutter to think of the unhealthy cleaning products I've used in the past. I'm eager to go check out the website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your recipes :) The wood cleaner sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete


I always look forward to reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to leave one. :-)